CHAPTER 5: Vegetables to Grow In An Aquaponic System
Another indispensable part of an Aquaponic system is the vegetables. Just like in Hydroponics, there are just some specific types that can thrive in Aquaponics. We’re going to blast through some suggested aquaponic vegetables.
The plants that are compatible with hydroponic systems will also be compatible with aquaponic systems in most cases. Leafy green vegetables and herbs are most commonly and most successfully grown. Cucumbers and tomatoes are also frequently grown, but might be a bit too advanced for a beginner.
According to a survey from 2015, most frequently raised plants among larger-scale producers are:
• Basil (Ocimum basilicum)
• Salad greens
• Other herbs
• Tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum)
• Head lettuce (Lactuca sativa)
• Kale (Brassica oleracea)
• Chard (Beta vulgaris subspecies cicla)
• Bok choi (Brassica rapa spp. chinensis)
• Peppers (Capsicum annuum)
• Cucumbers (Cucumis sativus)